Saturday, June 26, 2010

Crazy Hot Half Marathon


Well, the good news is that I survived! It was insanely hot. I decided about mile 4 that there was no way I was going to push myself to sub 2 today. Turned out to be a very good choice. About mile 5 - at the top of the bridge - someone collapsed right in front of me from dehydration. One of the other runners had a cell phone and called 911. She said the operator told her they had another woman who was already down about mile 4. We later learned this was our friend Teri. The good news is that Teri is ok - just a little dehydrated - getting IV fluids in the ER.

So I ended up walking quite a bit and just "taking it easy", listening to my body and trying not to get overheated. Turned out to be an ok strategy for a day like today. I finished in 2:14 - which works out to about 10 minute miles. Considerably slower than I was planning, but totally fine.

And here is the really funny part. I came in first in my age group. It was just that hot out there -nobody wanted to push it. I came in 21st overall woman. WHOO HOO! And I am not sore or worn out. I have been HYDRATING like a crazy person since crossing the finish line. Another day, another (MUCH COOLER) race, I will go for the sub 2 half.

During my run, I was thinking - what is wrong with me? I run races in the FREEZING cold and the BURNING hot humidity. I obviously need my mental state checked!

No comments: